Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Never Doubt I Love


"Doubt thou that the stars are fire; 
Doubt though that the sun doth move; 
Doubt truth to be a liar; 
But never doubt I love." 
-William Shakespeare


I have loved this quote ever since I saw Letters to Juliet in high school. My dear friend Kaitlyn and I actually described seeing this movie as a "life changing" experience! I always thought it was so precious and loved the idea of that kind of love. But today it took on a new meaning.

I was in the midst of a not-so-great day, which was actually preceded by another not-so-great day. It was one of those instances where a bunch of little things happened that wouldn't have been a big deal in and of themselves. But when they all happened at once, it felt like the end of the world. (For example: I almost ruined a cake I was making for my small group tonight. As I was doing some damage control to rescue the cake, I started doubting my ability to cook for my future family. Hilarious. And stupid.)

Anyway, I was being bombarded with confusions, doubts, questions, you name it. And this quote actually came to mind, but in a new way. I was beginning to feel as though there was little that I could do right and that there were few things going right in my life. Once again, I was letting a bunch of little things grow larger and larger in my mind, until it felt as though it was all I could see. But all the while, God was gently reminding me of His unfailing love.

I may have days where I doubt everything else. My ability to do my job, my ability to be a good wife and mom some day, my writing, my coaching, my worth, my intelligence, and on and on. But even through all of these doubts and concerns, Jesus remains the same. He never leaves me. He sees me in my weakness, and loves me anyway. He sees me when I succeed, and He sees me when I fall on my face in failure. He sees me when I do everything right, and He sees me when I fall short. And no matter what He sees, He loves me any way.

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, my unfailing love for you will not be shaken." Isaiah 54:10


This also means that He loves me when I sin and fall short. I was totally not planning on writing this, but if you feel as though you have fallen out of God's ability to love you, you could not be further from the truth. He loves you and wants you back so badly. The Bible says that a good shepherd will leave His flock to find one lost sheep. That shepherd is Jesus! He is desperately searching for you and calling you back to Him. It's not too late, and you are not too far gone. He will welcome you back with open arms, and He will love you faithfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment