Monday, June 22, 2015

Peru: Meet Nicole



So when people ask me about my trip to Peru, I honestly don't even know where to start. It's hard to describe and put into words everything that happened and all the people we met and all the lives we saw touched and changed. My go to answer has been, "It was great. I wish I was still there and not here." (Which has actually offended some people...I can't imagine why!!) But there is so much more to say.

One thing God has been helping me grow in is trusting His timing, no matter what. And one thing I know for sure, is that His timing of this trip was perfect. While we were there, we met a girl named Nicole. Nicole is traveling the world, and she "just so happened" to be at Camino de Vida the same week we were. Nicole is truly one of the coolest people I have ever had the privilege of meeting. She gave up everything to travel. Through her journey she has discovered so many things about herself and about God. She could write a book on God's faithfulness in her life. One of the coolest things about Nicole, was that she had genuinely meaningful conversations with everyone she talked to. I was talking to her one day while we were peeling garlic (4.5 pounds of garlic, to be exact). I was asking her about her travels and things she has learned since she started. Traveling is something that I desire to do so deeply, so I loved everything she had to say. Then she said that if God has put that desire in my heart, and I don't do it, then I am trying to be somebody other than who God created me to be. I was amazed at this comment. I barely knew her, and she had said something that impacted me so deeply.

Every single person on our team had the opportunity to interact with and befriend her throughout the week. What made it even better (as if you needed anything) was that we were also able to encourage and bless her, as well! She had been traveling for about 5-6 months when we met her. By herself. She had met some friendly people along the way. She had learned a lot. She had had some unforgettable experiences. But she needed to be around some people who could encourage and uplift her. She needed some refreshment. And God used our team to help with that.

God orchestrated our paths to cross. Nicole was making her own travel plans. She could have been long gone if she wanted to, but God had other plans. I was so encouraged when I thought about this throughout the week. I have a hard time trusting in God's timing when it doesn't line up with mine. But this is just one of the many things God has used to show me that His timing is always the best. He can see the big picture, and I can only see what's right in front of me. I'm glad the one with the better view is the one with the steering wheel!

No comments:

Post a Comment