Monday, April 2, 2018

Beauty in Brokenness

If you have grown up in church, or have been in the church for any length of time, you have probably heard somebody say something like "don't just seek God in the hard times." or "seek God in the good, not just the bad." And while I believe this is absolutely true, I think it can make us fall into the ditch on the other side.

Here's what I mean. How many times have you been going through something hard and not brought it to God? Whether it's because you think it's not big enough for Him to care about or not wanting to be accused of only seeking Him in the difficult times. Or maybe you are just stubborn and have the "I'm going to figure this out on my own" mentality. (Guilty 🙋🏻) Whatever the reason, bringing things to God sometimes happens as a last ditch effort. Like, "Well, I've tried everything else, and nothing has worked. I guess I'll pray about it now."

This past year, one of the best things somebody told me was that God WANTS us to come to Him with our heartbreak, our hard times, and our sadness. When we are dealing with something, He wants to be there with us. He wants to help us walk through it. He wants to be there with His peace and His mighty, powerful, safe, outstretched arms.

As I was driving home a few weeks ago, I saw the most beautiful sunset. There was a storm coming in at the same time, and the sky was a crazy, beautiful contrast of light and dark. What I realized looking at that sunset, was that sometimes there is beauty in the midst of our brokenness. Sometimes our most beautiful and vibrant moments with God happen in the midst of darkness. So, should we make sure we continue to seek God in our good times? Definitely. But don't let that keep you from coming to Him with the hard stuff. He loves us and cares about EVERY part of our lives. So run to Him in the good, and fall into His arms in the bad. He will be there and love you through both.

This song by Ellie Holcomb is an incredibly beautiful reminder about finding God in the midst of the every circumstance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment