Monday, May 9, 2016

Steps

Steps. We always hear that this is how God leads us. Which is true. But sometimes I feel like we forget what that actually entails. I also think that often times, we focus on the fact that we don't understand the steps God is asking us to take, rather than just trusting Him. He can see the whole picture, and we can only see part of it. Let me tell you what I mean.

Ok, so here I am, in my third year of teaching. I am teaching 7th grade English. Hilarious. Want to know why? I went to school to teach Elementary age kiddos. Early Childhood to be exact. Since high school, I wanted to be a Kindergarten teacher. If you had told me I was ever going to teach middle school, I literally would have laughed in your face. The thought horrified and scared me. But here I am. After 2 years of teaching precious 5 and 6 year-olds, I am teaching 12 and 13 year-olds. From the outside looking in, people probably think I am crazy or can't make up my mind about what I want to do. But I disagree.

See, I think the steps of going to school, getting a degree, and teaching Kindergarten were all crucial steps in God's path for me. ORU's education department is all about Literacy, so how perfect that I am able to use all that literacy training I received to teach my English classes! When I was teaching Kindergarten, I formed amazing, God-ordained relationships with specific students and parents each year. When I was thinking about switching grades in the Spring of this year, I was so confused as to why God didn't just have me start in 7th grade. He helped me to see why I needed those two years. First off, He knew that I needed to start there because it had always been my dream to teach Kindergarten. He knew my heart, and knew that I needed those two years. Secondly, God brought specific students and parents into my classes each year. Some of those parents are some of my greatest friends to this day and have spoken so much life and encouragement into me. And it might surprise you, but 5-year-olds can speak life and encouragement into your life just as easily as adults can! Thirdly, I truly believe that there were specific students in my classes each year that needed to have me as their teacher. Not because I am so fabulous, but because God gave me the ability to love on them and teach them like no other teacher could. Finally, there are a few of my co-workers who spoke into my life and ministered to me in ways that I cannot express in words. They are relationships that are so precious to me and I treasure so much! Each of those steps prepared me for the job I have now, teaching and coaching my amazing 7th grade and high school students.

This brings me to my most recent, and current step. Yes, I do believe where I am is a step and not my final destination. God has been working on my heart over the past few months in a way I never imagined. Lauren Steele, the girl who grew up wanting to be a teacher, wife, and mom only, is dreaming of more. One of the reasons I went to ORU was because I wanted to be close to home. I was afraid to stray too far from my family, and often cried when I had to leave. Today, my heart and dreams and desires are crossing oceans in a way that can only be described as shocking. I know that people looking in at my life are probably thinking, "Man, this chick just needs to make up her mind and stick with something." But they don't know what I know. This is another step. I may not know exactly what is coming, or why God has led me there the way He has. But I have no reason to doubt. Every step He has given me has had a specific purpose behind it, and I know that this is no different. God knows my innermost thoughts and dreams and goals and desires. He is going to lead me to those things and even more than I imagined. I can't see the whole picture, but He can. He is guiding me day by day and step by step.

I was always told that the fastest path between two points is a straight line, but I don't think that is the way things work in God's kingdom. God's path may not always be the fastest, but it is always always always the best!

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts Lauren! I can totally relate to this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sallie! That means a lot. Glad you could relate. :)

      Delete